Soft T-Ball is for 5 and 6-year-old girls with no prior softball experience. For the first half of the seaon, girls use a “smoosh ball” and hit off of a batting tee for the first half of the season. At mid-season, play switches to coach pitch depending on the player's development.
Soft T-Ball is set up as a fun, learning division. No scores or standings are kept; and there are no playoff activities. Coaches are very involved on the field during the game. The emphasis is on skill development and gaining a basic knowledge of the game. Games and practices are kept to 60 minutes. All Soft T-Ball games are played at Bustard Park.
TYA also holds an Opening Day ceremony and an All-Star Day skills competition. All girls are invited to All-Star day; traditionally, the older girls will help mentor the younger ones during the skill competition.
Soft T-Ball Important Dates:
- Registration - January (late registrations accepted in February)
- Team creation - Late February, early March
- Roster distribution – Mid-March
- Preliminary Schedule – Mid-to-late March
- Practices - Late March, early April
- Games – Mid-to-late April
- Skills Day/Graduation Game – the Saturday after Memorial Day
- Season Ends – Mid-June