The TYA travel basketball program is designed for advanced players who desire a more competitive practice and game environment. Travel team age groups begin at age 8 and run through age 13. The determining date for the age of travel basketball players is August 1 of each year.
Eligibility is based on the age determining date. An athlete who does not meet the age determining date may qualify under the grade exception rule. Each team is allowed a maximum of three grade exception athletes.
Tryouts are traditionally held in September/October. Players are selected based on their individual skills and abilities. Keep in mind that playing time is not guaranteed.
Practices begin shortly after teams are selected. The regular season runs from December through February; playoffs are usually held in March. The travel teams also participate in tournaments and scrimmages. There will be additional fees to cover referees, uniforms and possibly gym time.
There are 6 Boys teams. See age/grade choices. A player may try out for a team above or at his grade level.
To attend travel tryouts, you must be registered with TYA in your age appropriate division. When registering on our LeagueApps system, make sure you check off your interest to play travel. Tryout dates/times below will be held at Pennfield Middle School, 726 Forty Foot Rd, Hatfield, PA 19440 and Trinity Lutheran Church, 1000 W Main St, Lansdale, PA 19446.
|U8/3rd grade||Friday, September 30, 2022||6:00-7:30pm||Pennfield MS (old gym)|
|Friday, October 7, 2022||6:00-7:30pm||Pennfield MS (new gym)|
|U9/4th grade||Thursday, October 6||6:00-7:30pm||Pennfield MS (new gym)|
|Monday, October 10||7:00-8:30pm||Trinity Lutheran Church|
|U10/5th grade||Friday, September 30||6:00-7:30pm||Pennfield MS (new gym)|
|Monday, October 3||6:00-730pm||Pennfield MS (old gym)|
|U11/6th grade||Monday, October 3||7:30-9:00pm||Pennfield MS (old gym)|
|Thursday, October 6||6:00-7:30pm||Pennfield MS (old gym)|
|U12/7th grade||Friday, September 30||7:30-9:00pm||Pennfield MS (new gym)|
|Thursday, October 6||7:30-9:00pm||Pennfield MS (new gym)|
|U13/8th grade||Thursday, September 29||8:00-9:30pm||Pennfield MS (new gym)|
|Friday, October 7||7:30-8:45pm||Pennfield MS (old gym)|
What Division am I Eligible For?
- August 1st of the current year is the determining date for the age of our basketball players.
- Eligibility to participate in travel basketball is based on the age determining date first.
- An athlete who does not meet the age determining date may qualify under the grade exception rule. In the 8U/3rd Grade through the 14U/9th Grade divisions, each team is allowed a maximum of three grade exception athletes.
- Example: Your child would like to play for the 10 and Under/5th grade team. If she is born on or after August 1st, she is eligible to try out for the 10U team. An exception can be made for up to 3 players per team, if a player is in 5th grade and who was born on or after August 1st.
- Grade Confirmation: Players participating under the grade eligibility exception must present a birth certificate and confirmation of grade level from the School Administrator. Grade level is determined by players grade on September 1st.